Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Transformer in N500F

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have 288 and 416 VOTT using N500F crossover.

    Does anybody know whether using the transformer in the N500F crossover to connect to a 416-8B 8ohm woofer will degrade the sound?

    I am thinking of using a N501 for the 416-8B in parallel with N500F for the 288.

    Which is a better option?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Again,

    what I meant to ask is whether using the transformer in the N500 will push up the level of the 416-8A which is a 8 Ohm driver, such that the there will be better balance between the output level of the 288-16G and 416-8A. When Altec designed the N500 crossover, did they take that into consideration?

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I'm currently using N501-8A crossover and 288-16G which is 16 ohms. I understand this will shift the crossover freq for the 288.

    Is it possible to connect a 15067 transformer in between such that the N501-8A will see a 8 Ohm load?

    What are the advantages / disadvanges of such a set-up?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    In a few home speakers, I have seen a parallel
    resistor used across the 16 ohm speaker to make
    the crossover see 8 ohms. I even have a diagram
    from one to show.

    http://xs73.xs.to/pics/06121/resis.jpg

    An advantage may be a more stable 8 ohm load overall.
    Disadvantage would be that it uses a little power.
    Its very inexpensive to try to see if it works for you.
    15 or 16 ohm resistor 10 watt should work fine.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Art J,

    I did it, with the transformer in between the 288 and the N501. No adverse effect so far. Although the transformer should have some losses, the net effect is that it seems a bit louder, can't explain why.

    The problem is I could not tell whether the crossover point is correct now, and I don't think it could be measured.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.